Thursday, October 9, 2014

Brief birding stops this week

Song Sparrow, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Oct 9, 2014
Lincoln's Sparrow, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Oct 9, 2014
Gray Catbird, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Oct 9, 2014
I have had little time this week to get out but I have made a few brief stops at various locations including a swing through the East Meadows this morning before stopping over to the Ibis Pool near Arcadia.  The East Meadows looked great to host some shorebirds but I could not find any at all.  Good numbers of sparrows (especially Savannah Sparrows) plus double digit counts of American Pipits but no shorebirds.  My stop at Arcadia found the place crawling with sparrows.  I managed to find dozens and dozens of seven species just around the small area I checked.  I also managed to find the Dickcissel discovered there a few days ago plus flyover Pine Siskins among the nearly 45 species.  Really wish I had more time to check in more detail as I'm certain other rarities are there just waiting to be found.

I have also made a few stops at Winsor Dam in search of waterfowl but didn't manage to find anything beyond the expected species.  All of the southern winds lately certainly didn't help to entice many ducks or geese to move south.

No comments:

Post a Comment