Wednesday, August 6, 2014

A few brief stops on my way in produce egrets, herons and a few shorebirds

Great Egret, Hadley, MA, Aug 6, 2014
Great Egret, Hadley, MA, Aug 6, 2014
Great Blue Heron, Hadley, MA, Aug 6, 2014
Great Blue Heron and Green Heron, Hadley, MA, Aug 6, 2014
Woodchuck, Honey Pot, Hadley, MA, Aug 6, 2014
I headed over to Huntington Road again this morning to see what the little puddle would hold after the rain last night.  Without fog this morning the viewing conditions were much better and I had a Great Egret, a Great Blue Heron and five Green Herons plus at least one Solitary Sandpiper as well as four Mallards.  Always amazing how birds (especially long distance migrants) can find little patches of appropriate habitat.  After viewing the birds at the puddle for awhile I headed west and stopped briefly along North Lane in Hadley to view the Connecticut River and had a single Least Sandpiper and a Spotted Sandpiper working the muddy bank on the far shore.  I added a flyby Killdeer when I stopped briefly at the Honey Pot so ended the early morning with four species of shorebirds...hopefully just a taste of what is to come.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment