Thursday, March 6, 2014

Mid week morning stops along the Connecticut River


Common Merganser, Connecticut River, Hadley, MA, Mar 6, 2014
Greater Scaup, Connecticut River, Hadley, MA, Mar 6, 2014
Greater Scaup, Connecticut River, Hadley, MA, Mar 6, 2014
Northern Pintail, Connecticut River, Hadley, MA, Mar 6, 2014
I have not been able to make it out much lately due to work and the ongoing cold weather but I have managed to make quick stops most mornings this week to check out the Connecticut River.  This morning I stopped to check out the river below the Coolidge Bridge on yet another cold morning (7 degrees).  Waterfowl there this morning included three Wood Ducks, 16 Black Ducks, at least 483 Mallards, four Northern Pintails (three males and a female), two male Ring necked Ducks, a female Greater Scaup and a Common Merganser.  Wish I had more time to explore other areas but that will have to wait until tomorrow (with temperatures once again forecast to be near zero!)
 

Yesterday I stopped once again below the Coolidge Bridge and found the numbers of birds quite reduced with only 57 Mallards, four Hooded Mergansers and a Common Merganser. The river was a bit more open so the waterfowl have likely dispersed to other locations along the river.
Tuesday morning was yet again below zero with a record setting temperature of -4.  I had a couple Great Horned Owls hooting back and forth at the house before dawn.  Despite the temperatures I decided to make a quick stop along the Connecticut River to see if I could find anything noteworthy before heading to work.  I stopped at North Lane but the river was frozen there once again so I then headed to the area below the Coolidge Bridge where I found some waterfowl in among the ice and fog including five Wood Ducks, four Black Ducks, 454 Mallards, a Northern Pintail, a Ring necked Duck, a Common Goldeneye and a Hooded Merganser.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment