Sunday, October 13, 2013

Quabbin Park and Lake Wallace


Green winged Teal (R) with Wood Duck, Quabbin Park, Oct 13, 2013
Black Ducks before dawn, Quabbin Park, Oct 13, 2013
'Murder' of American Crows, Quabbin Park, Oct 13, 2013
I once again tried the Quabbin Park area looking for waterfowl but the numbers and variety were down from the decent morning I had there yesterday.  I only managed to find 24 Black Ducks, 17 Wood Ducks, four Green winged Teal, a Common Merganser, two Common Loons, 11 Mallards and 42 Canada Geese all moving southwest.  Also had several Eastern Phoebes, a singing Hermit Thrush, a Spotted Sandpipers, a Peregrine Falcon moving past with what appeared to be a Northern Flicker in its talons, three Bald Eagles together and quite a few Yellow rumped Warblers plus a large group of crows that appeared to be migrating.
Double crested Cormorants, Lake Wallace, Belchertown, MA, Oct 13, 2013
Double crested Cormorants, Lake Wallace, Belchertown, MA, Oct 13, 2013
With Quabbin Park fairly quiet I decided to try my luck at Lake Wallace.  The lake was nearly devoid of any waterfowl with only a Mallard and a couple of cormorants plus a flyby pair of Canada Geese.  The hunting pressure the rest of the week almost certainly has kept the number of waterfowl low here.  Other notable birds here included a half a dozen Eastern Phoebes and scores of White throated and Song Sparrows plus a few Belted Kingfishers.
Common Loon, Quabbin Park, Oct 13, 2013
Common Loon, Quabbin Park, Oct 13, 2013

Late in the morning I got a call from Bob Z who believed he had a western type grebe at Quabbin Park near Goodnough Dike. The description sounded good for an exceedingly rare species inland in Massachusetts. He last saw it flying north and could not relocate it. I headed over early afternoon in an attempt to catch up with it but no luck. I did find three Common Loons in the area as well as a distant Double crested Cormorant. On my walk back out to my car I ran across a nice little mixed species flock that contained four species of warbler, a vireo and lots of Ruby crowned Kinglets






No comments:

Post a Comment