Monday, June 25, 2012

Kingfishers and others before the rain


Belted Kingfishers (four of six), route 9 marsh, Quabbin, MA, June 25, 2012

Belted Kingfishers, route 9 marsh, Quabbin, MA, June 25, 2012

Belted Kingfisher with stick, route 9 marsh, Quabbin, MA, June 25, 2012

Belted Kingfisher with stick (beaver below), route 9 marsh, Quabbin, MA, June 25, 2012

Belted Kingfisher with stick, route 9 marsh, Quabbin, MA, June 25, 2012
With the prediction of rain I was not sure I would be able to get out at all this morning but the rain held off for a time.  I decided to stay close to home so I spent a little time at Winsor Dam and the route 9 marsh before heading home to take Wilson for a walk.  I ran across a family unit of six Belted Kingfisher with the young all centered around the largest beaver lodge.  The young would practice diving into the water and picking up sticks from the water and then whack the sticks against whatever they sat on once they returned from the water in a fashion similar to how the adults treated any fish they caught.  It was very interesting to see the young practicing this activity and I managed to catch it on video.  I didn't have my good camera with me today so all shots and video were taken with my iPhone.

Video of Belted Kingfisher 'practice fishing', route 9 marsh, June 25, 2012

In addition as I was watching the activity at the marsh a car stopped a few hundred feet past me on Route 9 and then turned around and came back toward me and said there were three Black Bears at which point of the them came over the guardrail and crossed the road and headed out into the woods. I wasn't quick enough to get a photo.  Other birds of note at the marsh included a Virginia Rail calling and 13+ Wood Ducks of various ages.

Barn Swallow adult feeding young, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, June 25, 2012

Barn Swallow young, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, June 25, 2012

A stop at Winsor Dam found a few freshly fledged Barn Swallows being attended to by adults.  The birds appeared to have very recently left the nest.

No comments:

Post a Comment