Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Birthday birding

Palm Warbler (yellow), Gate 9-Quabbin, April 25, 2012

Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle), Gate 9-Quabbin, April 25, 2012

Black and White Warbler, Gate 9-Quabbin, April 25, 2012

Song Sparrow, Gate 9-Quabbin, April 25, 2012


Black capped Chickadee, Gate 9-Quabbin, April 25, 2012


I took the day off from work today for my birthday and spent the morning exploring various areas around Quabbin trying to find some new arrivals.  I did not find any new species for this migration season but still had some good birds.  I was really hoping to find a southern warbler (Yellow-throated, Prothonotary, etc) that was carried north by the southern winds of last week and the storm over the weekend.  Despite my best efforts I had no luck finding any.  The day started out at a chilly 35 and warmed up to the mid 50's before the breeze really kicked in and cooled it down a bit again.  I started the day Quabbin Park.  I had a few loons and eagles in the usual spots.  The Blackburnian Warbler present near Goodnough Dike was still there this morning.  The number of Chipping Sparrows, Eastern Towhees and Yellow-rumped Warblers continue to go up.  I also ran across a pair of very vocal Cooper's Hawks copulating just off the road.  The male was then breaking off sticks and carrying them into the nest site.  I next headed for Quabbin Gate 9 (more accurately the large marsh opposite Gate 9).  I ran into a nice large group of warbler here with several coming in quite close for good looks.  After walking as far as I could there I headed up to Gate 12 and walked down about a half mile.  Quite a few woodpeckers in the area as well as a calling Broad-winged Hawk low over the trees.  I then headed down to Gate 8 and drove down to the end.  It was quite quiet here so I didn't stay too long.  A couple other quick stops didn't produce any birds of note.  I stopped briefly at home and picked up Wilson and he headed to Covey WMA for a long walk around the area.  Some good birds but nothing out of the ordinary.  During the afternoon I had a few Broad-wings streaming north very high up but little else.


No comments:

Post a Comment