Monday, January 3, 2011

Quabbin Park and Covey WMA

Eastern Bluebird, Covey WMA, January 3, 2011
Dark-eyed Junco, Covey WMA, January 3, 2011
Brown Creeper, Covey WMA, January 3, 2011
Brown Creeper, Covey WMA, January 3, 2011
Red-breasted Nuthatch, Covey WMA, January 3, 2011


I enjoyed a nice morning visit to both Quabbin Park and Covey WMA. The wind was up today and the temperatures down so it was a bit more like January. The morning started with a nice flight of American Robins moving south from their evening roosts. I had at least 421 and this was a minimum count as they were already moving in numbers before I arrived. I also had a nice group of 37 Common Mergansers at Quabbin as well as at least four Bald Eagles. I then went to Covey WMA to try to get out of the wind a bit. I immediately ran across a nice group of birds feeding along the edges including Cedar Waxwings, Eastern Bluebirds, American Robins, Juncos, and the other expected species. Some very good looks as the birds fed on the various berries still remaining here.

No comments:

Post a Comment