Sunday, August 8, 2010

Central Quabbin...final breeding bird atlas trip

Moose w/ calf, Central Quabbin, August 8, 2010


I made what is likely to be my last trip into the restricted area of central Quabbin this year for the breeding bird atlas as the permit runs out next weekend. Most breeding activity is indeed wrapping up but there was still a Cedar Waxwing gathering nest material this morning (from a previously used Baltimore Oriole nest!). The number of juvenile birds around has grown and grown and now they are everywhere. I managed some nice birds including a Louisiana Waterthrush singing a partial song, a Greater Yellowlegs, 13 species of warblers, Yellow billed Cuckoo, several Ruby throated Hummingbirds, fifteen Red breasted Nuthatch's, etc. The list goes on and on. A bad day is tough to come by at Quabbin and I certainly didn't find it today! In addition to all the birds I had a mother Moose with calf. A great way to end the atlas work for the year.

Yesterday I also had a nice sighting in the afternoon after returning from my AM trip to Gate 22. I had an early Olive-sided Flycatcher along the Jabish Canal in a large swampy area. Earliest I have had one.

No comments:

Post a Comment