Monday, October 14, 2024

A cool end to the second week of October with loads of sparrows

 

Song Sparrow, Amherst, MA, Oct 14, 2024
Yellow rumped Warbler 'myrtle', Amherst, MA, Oct 14, 2024
Ruby crowned Kinglet, Amherst, MA, Oct 14, 2024
Blue Jay, Amherst, MA, Oct 14, 2024
White throated Sparrow, Amherst, MA, Oct 14, 2024
Common Yellowthroat, Amherst, MA, Oct 14, 2024
Nashville Warbler, Amherst, MA, Oct 14, 2024

The second week of October ended with another damp, overcast and occasionally rainy morning.  Nonetheless it was not a downpour so I was out a bit in the morning before we had to take Wilson in for a check up.  I mainly concentrated on warblers and managed to find four species with the vast majority being Yellow rumped Warblers.  I also had a good show of sparrows with hundreds of individuals seen over the course of the morning.

Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Oct 14, 2024

Once the rain stopped and a bit before another cold front moved in, I headed over to Winsor Dam and had some luck with waterfowl including all three species of scoters (two of which were new for me this year...bringing me to 226 species for the year).  I also had the continued Common Goldeneye that seems to have reappeared after last being seen in mid August.

Yesterday was overall rainy and cold with temps in the 40's and I didn't get much birding in at all although the day was not a total bust as I finally caught up with the young Lesser Black backed Gull Ted had found several days before.  I tried for it before and failed to find it but figured with the crappy weather I would give it another try.  Although I got soaked in the rain and didn't get a photo of it I was happy to track it down finally on my third try.

Although the next couple days look to feature cool temps and windy conditions the weather should warm by the end of the week and we could then enjoy several days of fairly warm weather and sunny conditions...we shall see if that forecast holds true.

No comments:

Post a Comment