Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Record warmth and then some snow for the second week of February with multiple continued rarities

Yellow rumped Warbler 'myrtle', Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Feb 8, 2024
Pale/leucistic Canada Goose, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Feb 8, 2024
Red Crossbill (with Pine Siskins), Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Feb 8, 2024
Pine Warbler, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Feb 8, 2024
Eastern Bluebird, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Feb 8, 2024

The second week of February was a bit of a roller-coaster weather wise with sunny conditions for most of the period with progressively warmer temps that eventually set a record with a high in the upper 50's on Saturday and then a much hyped "major" snow storm on Tuesday that dropped less than two inches of snow at the house and nothing just a little further west.  No complaints from me as the forecast just hours before the arrival of the storm called for a foot of snow.  Areas to the south certainly got hit with snow and once the storm moved out strong northerly winds made it really feel like mid February.

I started off the second week after getting out of work the 8th and trying some new spots for overwintering Yellow rumped Warblers and found one fairly quickly at Arcadia.  I had heard the species early in the month as a flyover without any photo so was glad to find one that was more cooperative for photos.  I also had the continued pale Canada Goose that has now spent time in the area for four winters.  After finding a Yellow rumped Warbler so quick for the morning I decided to head to Winsor Dam to see if I could track down any of the Pine Warblers there to make it a two warbler species day and I had success with that endeavor.  I also added a flyover Evening Grosbeak and a few Red Crossbills.

White throated Sparrow, Rail trail, Ware, MA, Feb 9, 2024
Eastern Towhees, Quabbin Park, MA, Feb 9, 2024
Common Loon, Quabbin Park, MA, Feb 9, 2024
Say's Phoebe, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Feb 9, 2024
Pine Warbler, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Feb 9, 2024

On Friday the 9th I started my morning along the rail trail in Ware where I had several Red Crossbills (I believe multiple Type's but waiting to hear back from Tim) as well as a high number of White throated Sparrows.  I then made a few stops within Quabbin Park and found several notable species including eight Common Loons, more Red Crossbills, a Fox Sparrow and three Eastern Towhees.  Then it was on again to Winsor Dam to check on the Say's Phoebe and Pine Warblers and I was happy to get both with at least five Pine Warblers present as well as even more Red Crossbills.

Pine Warbler, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Feb 10, 2024
Pine Warblers, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Feb 10, 2024
Say's Phoebe, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Feb 10, 2024
Common Mergansers, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Feb 10, 2024

Saturday started off foggy and stayed that way for the first few hours of the morning.  I stayed somewhat local making a number of stops with the most productive and longest being back again to Winsor Dam where I had the Say's Phoebe and multiple Pine Warblers as well as a Hermit Thrush that actually sang a partial song a few times and loads of Pine Siskins and some Red Crossbills (the dam had just been so incredible this winter that I find it hard to pull myself away).  

Black Vultures, East Hadley Rd, Hadley, MA, Feb 11, 2024
Turkey Vulture, East Hadley Rd, Hadley, MA, Feb 11, 2024
Beaver, Rail trail, Amherst, MA, Feb 11, 2024
Pine Warbler, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Feb 11, 2024
Pine Warbler (with Eastern Bluebirds), Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Feb 11, 2024
Say's Phoebe, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Feb 11, 2024

For Sunday I ventured over to the Amherst/Hadley area where I tried in vain to find an overwintering Common Yellowthroat (a tough species to find in winter for sure).  With no luck finding a yellowthroat I then spent some time checking farm fields for geese, mixed blackbird/grackle flocks and raptors.  My best luck turned out to be with vultures when I had at least eight Black Vultures and ten Turkey Vultures lifting off from a roost in Hadley...a great number for either species in the early part of February.  I also had to make a stop at Winsor Dam on my way home to check on the phoebe and Pine Warblers and found all of them quite easily.  

Gray Catbird, Rail trail, Ware, MA, Feb 12, 2024
Field Sparrow, Rail trail, Ware, MA, Feb 12, 2024
Purple Finches, Rail trail, Ware, MA, Feb 12, 2024
Pine Warbler, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Feb 12, 2024
Say's Phoebe, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Feb 12, 2024
Pine Siskin, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Feb 12, 2024

On Monday the 12th I started off predawn at Winsor Dam where I had nearly three hundred gulls with most being Ring billed Gulls.  There was one intriguing gull I had in view for just a few seconds before the entire group was flushed and the gull in question headed off with the hordes to the southeast and was not seen again.  I then headed to the rail trail in Ware to look for a Gray Catbird that has been reported in the area.  I not only found the catbird (adding another species for the year in the county) but also a Field Sparrow.  I then (of course) headed back to Winsor Dam where I once again had the Say's Phoebe right away (literally the first species I saw).  Red Crossbills were also flying around the area and calling.  The Pine Warblers were present (with at least three around) but very tough to find as they mainly hid in the grass.  It took lots of looking to find them and photo ops were tough to come by.

Pine Warbler, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Feb 14, 2024
Eastern Bluebird, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Feb 14, 2024
Pine Siskin, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Feb 14, 2024
Pine Warbler, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Feb 14, 2024
Wilson on a cold, windy walk, Belchertown, MA, Feb 14, 2024

Yesterday I had to work so no real birding for that day.  After getting out of work on a very windy and cold morning today I had just a short time before I had to get home to take a class.  I decided to head over to Winsor Dam and despite the windy conditions I found a couple of Pine Warblers continuing, feeding in pines today.  Once I finished up my class I took Wilson for a walk and we made a brief stop at the dam again and yet again found a couple Pine Warblers (no sign of the Say's Phoebe during either of my visits).

So far February has been quite productive with 81 species for me in the county, which is my second highest total for February ever.  Not quite up to my record setting February back in 2022 when I had 92 species by this point but very respectable.  

No comments:

Post a Comment