Friday, January 5, 2024

Three Pine Warblers today plus a few more new species for the year

Pine Warblers, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Jan 5, 2024
Pine Warbler, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Jan 5, 2024

After so many attempts at the end of last year and into the new year trying to relocate at least one Pine Warbler at Winsor Dam I finally had some great luck today when I found at least three travelling with a mixed species flock.  I have looked for the species at least for a bit every day I had free since the beginning of 2024 and this is the first time I have found them again.  I last had one on December 28th (just in time to add it to the count week for the Quabbin CBC).  The Pine Warblers become the second warbler species for me in the county after finding some Yellow rumped Warblers to start the new year.  More photos and info on the Pine Warblers at the following link.

Common Mergansers, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Jan 5, 2024
Pileated Woodpecker, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Jan 5, 2024
Gadwall (with American Black Ducks and Canada Goose), Lower Mill Pond, Easthampton, MA, Jan 5, 2024
American Black Ducks, Lower Mill Pond, Easthampton, MA, Jan 5, 2024
Ring necked Duck, Lower Mill Pond, Easthampton, MA, Jan 5, 2024

Before I headed toward home and Quabbin I made a few stops in Northampton and Easthampton and turned up a few unusual species including Gadwall and Ring necked Duck and also added an American Pipit in Hadley.

The forecast points to our first substantial snow storm arriving Saturday and continuing into Sunday with perhaps a foot of snow.  I can't get back to the tropics quick enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment