Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Continued rarities and an early Northern Parula to start August

 

Purple Martins, Silvio Conte NWR-Fort River, Hadley, MA, Aug 1, 2021
Green Heron, Lake Wallace, Belchertown, MA, Aug 1, 2021

I started off August with an early morning visit to Lake Wallace mainly looking for waders and I had a number of Green Herons as well as a Great Blue Heron but nothing unusual (still looking for a state first Roseate Spoonbill to show up).  I then headed to check on a few continued rarities before going to work and I was lucky to find both Purple Martins and Blue Grosbeak continuing at their respective locations in Hadley.

Northern Watersnakes and Garter Snake, Belchertown Land Trust Trail, Belchertown, MA, Aug 2, 2021
Wilson pointing out Northern Watersnakes and Garter Snake, Belchertown Land Trust Trail, Belchertown, MA, Aug 2, 2021

After work on Monday I headed out in search of new species for the month.  Notables for the morning included several Great Egrets, a slightly late Alder Flycatcher still singing in Amherst and a slightly late Louisiana Waterthrush.  In addition to the birds I got to see a few snakes (pointed out to me by the ever attentive Wilson).

Northern Parula, Skinner SP, Hadley, MA, Aug 3, 2021
Looking north, Skinner SP, Hadley, MA, Aug 3, 2021
Holyoke Dam, South Hadley, MA, Aug 3, 2021
Wood Ducks, Lake Wallace, Belchertown, MA, Aug 3, 2021
Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Aug 3, 2021

I got out before dawn this morning and started my morning at Winsor Dam where I had at least two Eastern Whip Poor Wills still singing.  I then headed over to Lake Wallace and had the expected species there with nothing too unusual.  My next stop was down to the Holyoke Dam where the Connecticut River continued to flow very heavy after weeks of above normal rain.  I then decided I was feeling up to a more intense walk so I headed to Skinner SP to walk to the top.  Among the many highlights during my nearly two hours there was a very early Northern Parula as well as a couple Cerulean Warblers.  The rest of the morning turned up more species and by the end of the day I topped out the first three days of the month with 112 species (slightly behind my best of 115 for the first three days of the month in Hampshire County in 2018 but still ahead of an average year).
Black capped Chickadee with leg bands, Home, Belchertown, MA, Aug 2, 2021
Black capped Chickadee with leg bands, Home, Belchertown, MA, Aug 2, 2021

The camera at the water feature continues to capture multiple birds with bands (despite the camera having some issues).  It will be interesting to see how many of the birds recently banded will stick around the yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment