Sunday, May 3, 2020

Push of migrants today


Baltimore Oriole, UMASS, Amherst, MA, May 3, 2020
Common Yellowthroat, Quabbin Park, MA, May 3, 2020
American Redstart, Quabbin Park, MA, May 3, 2020
Blue winged x Golden winged Warbler hybrid, Belchertown Land Trust Trail, Belchertown, MA, May 3, 2020
Today was the first really good day of spring migration with quite a few new species for the year in Hampshire County (although species are still a bit behind what has become typical in the last several years). The conditions overnight were good for migration with calm winds allowing lots of birds to move. After I got out of work I had to decide on a spot to go that would offer small crowds and hopefully new birds. I decided to start off at UMASS where I added seven new species even though the area was not quite as active as I hoped it would be. After my time at UMASS I hit a few areas in Quabbin Park before the weekend hordes descended and I added four more new species with a very noticeable increase in Ovenbirds and Black and White Warblers. Most of the rest of the day was spent around the house (where I added my first Eastern Kingbird) with the exception of some time along the land trust trail with Wilson where we found a Blue winged x Golden winged Warbler.  I ended the day with a little over 80 species without too much effort.  More on warblers for the day here.
Black Bear, Home, Belchertown, MA, May 2, 2020
Yellow rumped Warbler 'myrtle', Home, Belchertown, MA, May 2, 2020
Song Sparrow, Home, Belchertown, MA, May 2, 2020
A check of the camera at the water feature turned up a few birds (my first Yellow rumped Warblers and Song Sparrow to make an appearance there this spring)  as well as a Black Bear that came in last night.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete