Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Christmas Eve and Christmas Day birds


Ruby crowned Kinglet, Mitch's Way, Hadley, MA, Dec 25, 2019
Black Ducks, Mitch's Way, Hadley, MA, Dec 25, 2019
Yellow rumped Warbler, Mitch's Way, Hadley, MA, Dec 25, 2019
I spent early Christmas morning exploring a couple more spots along the river in search of Yellow rumped Warblers (and any other lingering species I could find).  I arrived before dawn in the East Meadows and immediately had a couple Great Horned Owls calling.  I walked into the area that has held a few Yellow rumped Warblers and after a lot of poking around I eventually had a single bird flyover calling but I was unable to track down where it landed.  I also had a couple Winter Wrens including one that sang a partial song a few times.  After the meadows I headed back across the river and then south down to Mitch's Way in search of some Yellow rumped Warblers that were seen there during the Northampton Christmas Bird Count.  I eventually ran across at least two Yellow rumped Warblers as well as a couple Ruby crowned Kinglets and a single group of Black Ducks in the river.  A successful morning with at least three Yellow rumped Warblers at two spots for the morning plus at least seven seen on Christmas Eve (see below)...a full wrap up of warblers over the last couple days can be found here.
Yellow rumped Warbler 'myrtle', Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Dec 24, 2019
Yellow rumped Warblers 'myrtle', Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Dec 24, 2019
Downy Woodpecker, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Dec 24, 2019
White throated Sparrow, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Dec 24, 2019
Northern Flicker, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Dec 24, 2019
I made it out briefly in the morning of Christmas Eve after work before I had to head home for pre-Christmas festivity's.  My brief stop was over to Arcadia primarily in search of the continued Yellow rumped Warblers.  The snow/ice had melted enough for this stop to allow me to check an area that had held a couple warblers before the snow made the area not easily accessible.  I almost immediately had at least one individual at the location as well as a group of 16 White throated Sparrows plus a number of other species.  I then headed over to the area that has held a group of Yellow rumped Warblers and turned up at least half a dozen individuals there as well as at least two Field Sparrows continuing in the same spot plus at least three Northern Flickers.

No comments:

Post a Comment