Saturday, June 8, 2019

Another Hooded Warbler among others on a trip to Prescott Peninsula (and other odd and ends) to begin the second week of June

Hooded Warbler, Prescott Peninsula, New Salem, MA, Jun 8, 2019
Chestnut sided Warbler, Prescott Peninsula, New Salem, MA, Jun 8, 2019
Chestnut sided Warbler, Prescott Peninsula, New Salem, MA, Jun 8, 2019
Ruby throated Hummingbird, Prescott Peninsula, New Salem, MA, Jun 8, 2019
Common Yellowthroat, Prescott Peninsula, New Salem, MA, Jun 8, 2019
Black throated Green Warbler, Prescott Peninsula, New Salem, MA, Jun 8, 2019
Yellow bellied Sapsucker, Prescott Peninsula, New Salem, MA, Jun 8, 2019
I enjoyed a sunny and warm morning with little humidity by hitting up a few spots near the house before heading up to Prescott Peninsula to scout out my whip poor will survey route and conduct a few field surveys (with a brief stop at Gate 8 to check on the Acadian Flycatchers).  I started the morning at Lake Wallace looking for marsh birds but didn't hear any.  I did have a few family groups of Wood Ducks and Hooded Mergansers but not too much else noteworthy.  I then headed north stopping briefly at Gate 8 where I heard at least two (possibly three) Acadian Flycatchers singing in the same area they have bred in past years.  I finally made it up to Prescott Peninsula just before 6:30 and covered several miles checking my survey route.  There were descent numbers of breeders throughout plus a rather unexpected sighting when I heard and then saw a Hooded Warbler.  I was on the lower third of the peninsula and heard the bird initially while driving.  It took some time to finally get a look at the bird and get a few photos.  The location looked good as a possible breeding location so I will keep tabs on it over the next several weeks...more details on the Hooded Warbler here.  My nearly four hours on the peninsula produced a total of 67 species.
Gray Catbird with leg bands, Home, Belchertown, MA, Jun 3, 2019
Black Bear, Home, Belchertown, MA, Jun 3, 2019
Giant Swallowtail, Home, Belchertown, MA, Jun 1, 2019

The cameras at home have caught a few notables the last several days including the first resighting of one of the birds banded in the yard last week plus a Black Bear visiting the water feature again.  There have also been a fair number of butterflies around including my first Giant Swallowtail of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment