Thursday, September 20, 2018

Connecticut Warblers and many others this morning

Connecticut Warbler, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Sep 20, 2018
Connecticut Warbler, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Sep 20, 2018
Least Flycatcher, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Sep 20, 2018
Red shouldered Hawk, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Sep 20, 2018
Dickcissel, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Sep 20, 2018
The migration conditions looked great last night and there was certainly an influx of birds this morning.  I debated on where to go for the morning but decided on Arcadia in the hopes of catching up with a Connecticut Warbler.  My choice proved to be a good one as I caught up with not one but three Connecticut Warblers over the course of the morning (my highest one day total for the species ever in the county)...more on warblers today can be found at the following link.  It was overall a very productive and satisfying morning with great variety and a few rarities.  Besides the CONW's I had two Dickcissels (including one perched nicely on a power line), a slightly late Least Flycatcher, two Yellow Warblers and nearly twenty Indigo Buntings among nearly 70 species.
Green Heron, Lake Warner, Hadley, MA, Sep 20, 2018
After the morning at Arcadia I headed home to take Wilson for a walk and we had our first for the fall Swainson's Thrush and Ruby crowned Kinglet during our walk.  I also decided to take my kayak over to Lake Warner to see if I could find either species of night heron there but I came up empty.  Nonetheless it was still a beautiful day to kayak around the entire lake and I had a few species around and I have not given up completely on finding the night herons again.
Bay breasted Warbler (L) and Blackpoll Warbler (R), Home, Belchertown, MA, Sep 19, 2018
Bay breasted Warbler and House Wren with leg bands, Home, Belchertown, MA, Sep 19, 2018
Although the activity at the water feature had dropped somewhat the last couple weeks a check of the camera today yielded a new species for the water feature with capture of a Bay breasted Warbler (becoming species #43 for the water feature and the fourteenth warbler species).

No comments:

Post a Comment