Wednesday, November 15, 2017

More rarities the last couple days including Clay colored Sparrow, Baltimore Oriole, Red throated Loon and the continued MacGillivray's Warbler

Clay colored Sparrow, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Nov 15, 2017
Baltimore Oriole, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Nov 15, 2017
Rusty Blackbird, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Nov 15, 2017
Black Ducks, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Nov 15, 2017
Canada Goose with extensive white on face, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Nov 15, 2017
MacGillivray's Warbler, Honey Pot, Hadley, MA, Nov 15, 2017
Red throated Loon, Beaver Lake, Ware, MA, Nov 14, 2017
I once again found a number of rarities in the last couple days, as well as seeing some continued ones.  Despite some rain and snow showers yesterday I made it out to a few spots in the local area with the best rarity being a Red throated Loon on Beaver Lake in Ware (eBird list Beaver Lake).  Today I headed back over to areas along the river starting off at the Honey Pot where I had the continued MacGillivray's Warbler as well as a singing White crowned Sparrow.  The warbler was quite vocal at times but then would stay quiet for extended periods.  All the views this morning were fleeting and I only managed a few marginal photos...a real skulking bird (full list: Honey Pot).  Once I finished up at the Honey Pot I headed over to Arcadia where one of the first birds I saw was a Baltimore Oriole working its way down a hedgerow in the meadows.  It was a dull first year bird that had me hoping for a Bullock's Oriole but no luck...still a great bird for mid November!  No luck finding the White eyed Vireo in the area of the old orchard but I did have a Clay colored Sparrow and a Gray Catbird.  Elsewhere at Arcadia I had a flock of 28 Rusty Blackbirds moving past together, nearly three hundred Mallard and 33 Black Ducks.  Full list here: Arcadia.

No comments:

Post a Comment