Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Fruitless search for Hooded Warblers


Worm eating Warbler, Mount Tom State Reservation, Easthampton, MA, June 7, 2017
Worm eating Warbler, Mount Tom State Reservation, Easthampton, MA, June 7, 2017
View of damage from microburst, Mount Tom State Reservation, Easthampton, MA, June 7, 2017
View of damage from microburst, Mount Tom State Reservation, Easthampton, MA, June 7, 2017
View of damage from microburst, Mount Tom State Reservation, Easthampton, MA, June 7, 2017
On Monday evening I noticed a post on the Facebook page about a Hooded Warbler seen and heard along the road at Mount Tom State Reservation.  It was in an area that was hit by a microburst a few years ago with most large trees toppled over but with lots of thick undergrowth.  It was too late in the day to try on Monday and although the forecast was for rain and cool temps on Tuesday I nonetheless headed over that way early in the morning and walked the road in the rain without having any luck finding it.   Despite the rain I did manage to find two Worm eating Warblers plus a few Prairie Warbler but not much else of note.  On my way to Mount Tom I stopped briefly at the Holyoke Dam and had at least 13 Double crested Cormorants.

With better weather forecast for today I headed back to Mount Tom to try again for the Hooded Warbler.  I arrived to find the skies still cloudy with a breeze out of the north making it a bit on the cool side (but still better than yesterday!).  I walked over a mile up the entrance road but had no luck locating the bird but by this point the trail was getting a bit cold so I was not too surprised.  The area looks like a great spot for a Hooded Warbler to hang out in so it may indeed still be around.  I found even more Worm eating Warblers today with a least five around including one carrying food upslope to an unseen nest or fledgling.  Seeing I was already fairly far west I decided to take the opportunity to try for the Hooded Warbler(s) at Mount Tekoa on the Montgomery/Westfield line.  Despite covering the area there was one reported in I had no luck finding one today.  Perhaps the bird(s) have moved elsewhere this year.  I then headed back east and north back into Hampshire County where I made a brief visit to the top of the mountain at Skinner SP where I had a single Cerulean Warbler singing quite far downslope from the parking lot plus at least two Worm eating Warblers.



No comments:

Post a Comment