Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Various stops looking for unusual species

American Bittern, Cummington, MA, May 25, 2016
American Bittern, Cummington, MA, May 25, 2016
I spent the morning following up on some recent reports of unusual species as well as checking the status of a few other unusual birds that are likely nesting in the area. I originally intended to head straight for the hill towns but the early morning fog made me decide to make a stop at Orchard Hill at UMASS in the hopes the conditions would result in some migrants. A brief walk around the area didn't produce too much so I continued on to DAR State Forest to follow up on a White eyed Vireo seen there last week near the campground. I checked the area but did not turn up the bird but given the increased human traffic in the area I guess I was not too surprised. I then headed over to Cummington to catch up with some marsh birds and had an American Bittern pumping away as well as a few Virginia Rails. Video of the bittern pumping here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/54277284@N05/26641566034/in/dateposted-public/
Sandhill Cranes, Worthington, MA, May 25, 2016
Sandhill Cranes, Worthington, MA, May 25, 2016
Sandhill Cranes, Worthington, MA, May 25, 2016
Sandhill Cranes, Worthington, MA, May 25, 2016
I then headed over to Worthington where I found two adult Sandhill Cranes as well as a colt (looks like they have successfully bred there now!). The birds were all on private property and I will not be giving the exact location as public access is limited at best.
Great Blue Herons at nest, Williamsburg, MA, May 25, 2016
Northern Waterthrush, Williamsburg, MA, May 25, 2016
Once I had my fill of the cranes I worked my way back east with a stop in Williamsburg to once again try to find the Hooded Warblers there but yet again no luck...it looks like they were just around for a day..oh well. I then made a few stops along the fairly low Connecticut River but I found very few shorebirds with just a handful of Killdeer and Spotted Sandpipers.

Cerulean Warbler, Skinner SP, Hadley, MA, May 25, 2016
My next stop was to Skinner SP where I checked on the Cerulean Warbler nest (which was occupied). There were several other birders there and I was able to get them all some nice scope views of the nest. There were at least two other Cerulean Warblers singing near the summit. My final stop checking on unusual species this morning was over to Winsor Dam where I had no luck relocating the Lesser Scaup but there was a boat out in the area the bird has been hanging around in so perhaps it will return later.  

No comments:

Post a Comment