Monday, July 27, 2015

Snowy Egret along the river

 
Snowy Egret, Hadley, MA, July 27, 2015
Snowy Egret, Hadley, MA, July 27, 2015
Snowy Egret, Hadley, MA, July 27, 2015
Snowy Egret, Hadley, MA, July 27, 2015
Snowy Egret, Hadley, MA, July 27, 2015
Although I made several stops over the weekend in search of an unusual heron or egret it took me just a few minutes along the Connecticut River this morning to finally have some luck. I originally thought the river would be running too high after some showers yesterday but when I checked on my way to work I noticed it was down enough to expose some mud. I made a quick stop and noticed a half dozen Spotted Sandpipers and then glanced around some trees and noticed a small white bird moving through the shallows...a Snowy Egret. The bird successfully grabbed a large number of small fish before it abruptly took off to the north. It returned about ten minutes later and then continued to feed. Despite the prevalence of this species along the coast it is quite unusual in Hampshire County with only a handful of records. This is only the second one I have ever seen in Hampshire County (the other was in the marsh behind the house back in 2007).
 

No comments:

Post a Comment