Saturday, May 9, 2015

My contribution to the eBird Global Big Day

Black and White Warbler, home, Belchertown, MA, May 9, 2015
Lincoln's Sparrow with yellow at base of tail, Silvio Conte NWR-Fort River, Hadley, MA, May 9, 2015
Spotted Sandpiper, Mitch's Way, Hadley, MA, May 9, 2015
Lesser Yellowlegs (L) and Solitary Sandpiper (R), East Meadows, Northampton, MA, May 9, 2015
I spent the day taking part in eBird Global Big Day (http://ebird.org/ebird/globalbigday/) and although my original intention was to stick around the Quabbin area I had some good luck with birds early on and Quabbin was somewhat fogged in early so I headed west and had a lot of luck finding good stuff. I hit several spots in the morning including the rail trail in Amherst, the East Meadows, Mitch's Way, Silvio Conte NWR-Fort River, Quabbin Park and the land trust trail in Belchertown. I had 60 species by 6AM and passed 100 by 9:30. My afternoon was mainly spent around the house but I did make a brief stop at Gate 5. I ended the day with 122 species in the county which is quite good considering many flycatchers are not back yet and I didn't hit several spots where certain species are known to be quite common. I bet 130 to perhaps 140 in Hampshire County is quite possible with a concerted effort...perhaps someday. Here are all the lists for the day (sorry not as many photos on these lists as the weather was a bit gloomy early on and I didn't focus on photos as much today)

Home
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S23317193

Winsor Dam
Coolidge Bridge
 
Mitch's Way

Home
 
Kennedy Rd Belchertown
 
Home
 
Winsor Dam

No comments:

Post a Comment