Tuesday, January 20, 2015

The month so far and some birding around Quabbin yesterday

A quick update of where I stand in trying to best my record from previous years for January in Hampshire County. I currently stand at 83 species as of today which puts me ahead of my best year (2013) by one at this point in the month and eight ahead of last year. I'm just three species away from my 2013 record with a week and a half left to go in the month. We shall see how it all plays out over that time. It certainly makes me get out there in the cold a little more than I normally would.  My second cold in just a few weeks make make it a bit tougher to get out enough to break the record but I will try.

Eastern Bluebird, Covey WMA, Belchertown, MA, Jan 19, 2015
Winter Wren (staying hidden when the light was good), Covey WMA, Belchertown, MA, Jan 19, 2015
Winter Wren, Covey WMA, Belchertown, MA, Jan 19, 2015
Hermit Thrush, River Road, Ware, MA, Jan 19, 2015
Ring billed Gulls, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Jan 19, 2015
Bufflehead, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Jan 19, 2015
With an extra day off yesterday due to the MLK holiday I had hopes of finding some good stuff by starting out bright and early but due to the lingering ice from the storm yesterday and the beginning of yet another cold I limited my time outside but nonetheless still had some good stuff.  Winsor Dam once again produced some decent waterfowl on several stops over the morning with 8 Black Ducks, 130 Mallards, the continued female Bufflehead, 8 Common Mergansers, two Common Loons, a Horned Grebe and a Red necked Grebe.  Also had a Sharp shinned Hawk fly past as well as a few Bald Eagles.  Other notables during the morning included at least 15 Hooded Mergansers along the Swift River, a couple Belted Kingfishers (one at Covey WMA and one at Quabbin Park), five Red breasted Nuthatch along the Swift River, three Winter Wrens (all along the Swift River) and a Hermit Thrush along River Road in Ware.

No comments:

Post a Comment