Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Quick stops the last couple mornings

Northern Pintails (two of three present), Connecticut River, Hadley, MA, Dec 2, 2014
Northern Pintails (two of three present), Connecticut River, Hadley, MA, Dec 2, 2014
I stopped briefly this morning along the Connecticut River in Hadley and found some waterfowl including 233 Canada Geese, a dozen Black Ducks, 292 Mallards, 3 Northern Pintails (all males) and a few Mallard x Black Duck hybrids.  Didn't have much time to check other areas so I had to be content with just this one stop.  Always hopeful for some unusual waterfowl as finding some seem to be my best shot on finding more species for the year.
Connecticut River at Coolidge Bridge, Hadley, MA, Dec 1, 2014
Honey Pot near dawn, Hadley, MA, Dec 1, 2014
Yesterday morning I made it over to the Honey Pot very early trying to find some owls but no luck with them.  Besides the Snowy Owl I had there yesterday a Short eared Owl has been reported as well as a group of three Long eared Owl flushed from along the river so the area seems to be attracting lots of interesting owls.  Although I didn't find any owls I still had some good stuff including a juvenile White crowned Sparrow.

I also stopped briefly near the Coolidge Bridge to view the river to check for waterfowl but had just Mallards and a Black Duck.  The highlight here was a Peregrine Falcon that made a brief appearance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment