Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Snow overnight...


Wilson's Snipe, Aqua Vitae Rd, Hadley, MA, Apr 16, 2014
Greater Yellowlegs, Aqua Vitae Rd, Hadley, MA, Apr 16, 2014
Greater Yellowlegs, Aqua Vitae Rd, Hadley, MA, Apr 16, 2014
I awoke this morning to find the yard covered with an inch or so of snow (another unpredicted weather event this week).  It is like we went right back into winter yet again.  Despite the cold and icy weather I made a brief stop by Aqua Vitae Road to see if the Glossy Ibis were still around but no luck finding them so I was unable to realize my dream of seeing ibis in the snow…perhaps another time?  Other birds of note there included 22 Wood Ducks, 61 Green winged Teal (try as I might I could not find anything but American Green winged Teal), 69 Ring necked Ducks, four Killdeer, three Greater Yellowlegs, a couple Wilson’s Snipe and a couple American Pipits.  A brief stop in the evening find much the same birds with the addition of a fourth yellowlegs.  With the river continuing to rise the flooded conditions should persist here for several days and I would not be surprised if more unusual species show up.  Perhaps record cold tonight with a low around 20...ahhhh spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment