Sunday, November 27, 2011

Hadley area birds

American Tree Sparrow, Hampshire College, Nov 27, 2011

Cooper's Hawk, Hampshire College, Nov 27, 2011

Cedar Waxwing, Hampshire College, Nov 27, 2011

House Sparrow, Hampshire College, Nov 27, 2011

I decided to head over to the Hadley area to check some of the fields and other areas to see what I could turn up.  I immediately ran into fog and it stayed around for a good part of the morning.  I tried Hadley cove for waterfowl but could not see the water.  I next stopped at Aqua Vitae Road and did have a small group of Snow Buntings and a single Lapland Longspur.  Once these birds left it was very quiet with almost no activity except for a Coyote moving through the fields.  I next tried the east meadows and the honeypot but the fog was just too thick.  I decided to head away from the river a bit to try and get away from the fog.  I made a brief stop at Lowe's to pick up some poles for duck boxes I'm putting up at home.  I then made it over the Hampshire College to try and catch up with and photograph the Dickcissel that has been there for weeks.  I could not find the bird despite a lot of searching.  I did have a good number (84) of Cedar Waxwings as well as a handful of sparrows including White-throated Sparrow (2), American Tree Sparrow (2) and several Song Sparrows plus quite a few juncos.  Another spot at the college that usually is productive was very quiet given the Cooper's Hawk that was working the area.  Once the fog lifted mid morning the temperatures warmed once again well above normal to near 60.

No comments:

Post a Comment