Friday, May 20, 2011

Red Phalarope(s) at Quabbin

Red Phalarope, Quabbin Park, May 20, 2011

Red Phalarope, Quabbin Park, May 20, 2011

Red Phalarope, Quabbin Park, May 20, 2011
I spent the morning at Quabbin Park and migration was much in evidence. The highlight by far on the gloomy morning was a Red Phalarope in breeding plumage that flew by me as I was scoping out a Common Loon. The bird came into the cove near Winsor Dam circled around once and then disappeared east over the trees. I then went on to the Administration building near Winsor Dam and took a look at the dead calm water. Way out in the open water were two more phalaropes of an unknown species. I looked around with the scope and when I came back to the area they had been in, they were gone. I looked for another 20 minutes without luck and figured the birds had moved out of the area as the fog started to lift. Much to my surprise I got a call in the middle of the afternoon saying there was a Red Phalarope right on the shore at the Administration building. I returned to the area and the bird was indeed right on the edge of shore. It stayed here for about 20 minutes before flying off to a cove on the west side of the water. I thought the bird I had seen earlier in the day was heading out and away and I never got a look at the distant birds to get a positive ID. There were at least three phalaropes here today and possibly four. Given the improvement in weather the birds will almost certainly be gone from the area by tomorrow as they continue their journey to the high arctic.

No comments:

Post a Comment