Sunday, October 10, 2010

White winged Crossbills...yesterday

White crowned Sparrow, Quabbin Park, October 10, 2010
White crowned Sparrow, Quabbin Park, October 10, 2010

Dark eyed Junco, Quabbin Gate 45, October 10, 2010

Philadelphia Vireo, Quabbin Park, October 10, 2010

Another great day at Quabbin. I started at dawn at Quabbin Park and had a pair of dueting Great Horned Owls. The highlight here, and of the day, was a group of 22 White winged Crossbills. I first heard them and a then got to see them as they flew around only to resettle in pines out of view. They repeated this behavior several times before going on to parts unknown. This was totally unexpected and made my day. In the same area of Quabbin Park I also had a slightly late Philadelphia Vireo. I then went on to Gate 45 and had my first of season Pied billed Grebe and Ring necked Ducks plus a calling Eastern Screech Owl. There were other high points of the day such as a River Otter on a beaver lodge, almost forty Wood Ducks on a small pond, cooperative White crowned Sparrows, etc...the list goes on and on.

No comments:

Post a Comment