Sooty Tern, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Aug 28, 2011
Today marks the 15th anniversary of the arrival of Hurricane Irene into western Massachusetts and with it one of the most epic birding days I have ever had in Hampshire County. The following eBird list sums it all up quite well (
day long list for Irene). So many fantastic birds and great memories that seem much more recent than 15 years ago! I had seven new Hampshire County species during that incredible day with the highlights including an adult White tailed Tropicbird I spotted as it came in to settle on the water (a first county record), a group of a dozen Hudsonian Godwits, a Parasitic Jaeger and a Sooty Tern. Given the conditions and distances it was tough to get photos but I at least managed some photos of the Sooty Tern. Likely a once in a generation (or even lifetime) occurrence. With a record setting strong El Nino in place the Atlantic will likely have few storms as conditions are typically unfavorable for tropical systems during El Nino years. With that said there is still a chance of a tropical system having an impact here before the season ends in November.
No comments:
Post a Comment