Wednesday, August 10, 2016

The last couple mornings...a few shorebirds and egrets and herons.

Great Egrets, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Aug 9, 2016
Great Egrets, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Aug 9, 2016
Great Blue Heron, Lower Mill Pond, Easthampton, MA, Aug 9, 2016
Killdeer, Solitary Sandpiper and Least Sandpiper, Lower Mill Pond, Easthampton, MA, Aug 9, 2016
Yesterday I made a few stops on my way to work once again looking for shorebirds and waders and had a few decent birds around.  My first stop along the river found it too foggy to see much so I headed over to Arcadia.  In the oxbow I had three Great Egrets plus several Great Blue Herons plus a handful of Killdeer.  Lower Mill Pond produced seven Killdeer, three Least Sandpipers, two Spotted Sandpipers and four Solitary Sandpipers plus one each of Green Heron and Great Blue Heron. While at work I had two Black Vultures soaring over downtown Northampton.
Killdeer, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Aug 10, 2016
Solitary Sandpiper, Lower Mill Pond, Easthampton, MA, Aug 10, 2016
Great Blue Heron, Holyoke Dam, South Hadley, MA, Aug 10, 2016
Chinney Swifts, Holyoke Dam, South Hadley, MA, Aug 10, 2016
Today I made a few stop on my way home dodging occasional rain and a bit of a breeze.  I started the morning off at Arcadia and had a flock of 23 Killdeer in a plowed field plus a flyby Solitary Sandpiper and a Spotted Sandpiper in the oxbow.  No sign of the Great Egrets from yesterday but there were still several Great Blue Herons around.  Lower Mill Pond featured the following shorebirds:  8 Killdeer, 2 Least Sandpipers, a Spotted Sandpiper and half a dozen Solitary Sandpiper.  I then headed south to check the Holyoke Dam and had seven Double crested Cormorants, seven Great Blue Herons, three Spotted Sandpipers and 140+ Chimney Swifts.  The feeding group of swifts was impressive to watch and I got a few videos of them:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/54277284@N05/28865913136/in/dateposted-public/
Nothing unusual at Lake Wallace but my stop there was short due to the rain that really picked up by the time I got there.  The next few days will feature some very warm (90's) temperatures with high humidity with occasional showers and storms.
Ruby throated Hummingbird, Home, Belchertown, MA, Aug 8, 2016
Ruby throated Hummingbird, Home, Belchertown, MA, Aug 8, 2016
I also set up the motion camera on one of the hummingbird feeders to make sure it was all set for the fall when the chances of an unusual hummingbird showing up is the greatest.  I got hundreds of photos of Ruby throated Hummingbirds in just a couple days so I will probably keep the camera off until a little later in the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment