Sunday, August 28, 2016

Little Blue Heron again, lots of other herons/egrets and the fifth anniversary of Hurricane/Tropical Storm Irene

Great Blue Herons and Great Egrets, Arcadia, Northampton, Aug 27, 2016
Great Egret and Raccoon, Arcadia, Northampton, Aug 27, 2016
Dawn, Honey Pot, Hadley, MA, Aug 27, 2016
Bobolink, Arcadia, Northampton, Aug 27, 2016
On Saturday morning I made a quick check of the river and turned up a three Great Egrets viewed from North Lane. A brief run through the fields of the Honey Pot didn't turn up any shorebirds but I didn't look in too many spots. I had about 45 minutes to try for some other stuff before going to work so I headed to Arcadia. I scanned the Oxbow and didn't turn up too much and the fog was thick in spots. I was thinking of heading over to Lower Mill Pond once again to check for shorebirds but I decided instead to stay at Arcadia and spend a little more time checking a few areas in greater detail. I walked out though one of the fields to check Ned's Ditch for any waders and I was glad I did. In a relatively small area of low water and mud I had a large gathering of waders that reminded me more of Florida then around here. I only had a few minutes to scan through but in that time I totaled up the following: 19 Great Blue Herons, 21 Great Egrets and 4 Green Herons. There were also a number of Wood Ducks and Raccoons enjoying the feast.
Little Blue Heron and Great Egret, Holyoke Dam, South Hadley, MA, Aug 28, 2016
Little Blue Heron and Great Egret, Holyoke Dam, South Hadley, MA, Aug 28, 2016
Little Blue Heron, Holyoke Dam, South Hadley, MA, Aug 28, 2016
Great Egrets, Arcadia, Northampton, Aug 28, 2016
Great Blue Heron, Arcadia, Northampton, Aug 28, 2016
Great Egrets, Arcadia, Northampton, Aug 28, 2016
Green Heron, Arcadia, Northampton, Aug 28, 2016
After work on Sunday morning I immediately headed back to Arcadia to spend a little more time checking out the gathering of waders I had yesterday and I turned up even more birds this morning with 24 Great Blue Herons, 23 Great Egrets and 7 Green Herons. I tried to find something even more unusual among them (like a Snowy Egret or nigh heron) but no luck. Given the large numbers of waders there I almost expect something unusual to show up.  I was very tired from work but wanted to make a brief check at the Holyoke Dam and I was glad I did as I turned up an immature Little Blue Heron once again (likely the same bird I had there a week ago). I got much better looks at it this time as it flew up river and landed a couple hundred feet north of me along the rivers edge. I also had eight Great Egrets and 11 Great Blue Herons. The numbers of Great Egrets continue to impress with at least 31 present at my two stops. With dozens being seen further south along the river it makes me wonder once again how many there are in the entire valley now....a hundred, maybe more?


Although I have posted about it extensively in the past I will once again mention Tropcial Storm Irene as it hit here five years ago today. It was a truly epic day of birding and one I will never forget (full list from day here: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S8750565 ). The hurricane season is approaching the most active period historically so I will keep my eyes on anything that might have an impact here. As of today there are a number of tropical systems at varying levels of development but none will have any impact

No comments:

Post a Comment