Friday, October 2, 2026

A brief warm up for the first couple days of October

Lincoln's Sparrow
Lincoln's Sparrow, Silvio Conte NWR-Fort River, Hadley, MA, Oct 2, 2026
Brown Thrasher
Brown Thrasher, Silvio Conte NWR-Fort River, Hadley, MA, Oct 2, 2026
Green Heron
Green Heron, Silvio Conte NWR-Fort River, Hadley, MA, Oct 2, 2026
Common Yellowthroat
Common Yellowthroat, Hickory Ridge Conservation Area, Amherst, MA, Oct 2, 2026
Barred Owl
Barred Owl, Belchertown, MA, Oct 2, 2026
Nashville Warbler
Nashville Warbler, Belchertown Land Trust Trail, Belchertown, MA, Oct 1, 2026
Mallards
Mallards, Belchertown Land Trust Trail, Belchertown, MA, Oct 1, 2026
Ovenbird
Ovenbird, Belchertown, MA, Oct 1, 2026
Hermit Thrush
Hermit Thrush, Belchertown, MA, Oct 1, 2026
Cape May Warbler
Cape May Warbler, Belchertown, MA, Oct 1, 2026
Blackpoll Warbler
Blackpoll Warbler, Belchertown, MA, Oct 1, 2026
Common Yellowthroat
Common Yellowthroat, Amherst, MA, Oct 1, 2026
Northern Yellow Warbler
Northern Yellow Warbler, Amherst, MA, Oct 1, 2026

After many days of rain and below normal temps we finally got some warmer temps the last couple days with the low 70's yesterday and low 80's today to kick off October.  With the arrival of a new month I was out early to add species and I hit a number of areas in Amherst and Belchertown yesterday.  I had a few slightly late species yesterday including Green Heron, Common Nighthawk, Northern Yellow Warbler and Cape May Warbler as well as a few flyover Red Crossbills.  By the end of the day I had a total of 79 species...a decent start to the month.  Today I started off my day at Silvio Conte NWR in Hadley and then onto some spots in Amherst and Belchertown.  The wind today made it tough tracking down some birds.  Nonetheless I added 13 more species for the month.  Tonight the winds should switch around to the north after a cold front moves through and hopefully gets more species migrating into the area.  

No comments:

Post a Comment