Monday, July 27, 2026

Black crowned Night Heron after returning from vacation

Black crowned Night Heron
Black crowned Night Heron, UMASS, Amherst, MA, Jul 26, 2026
Black crowned Night Heron
Black crowned Night Heron, UMASS, Amherst, MA, Jul 26, 2026
Black crowned Night Heron
Black crowned Night Heron, UMASS, Amherst, MA, Jul 26, 2026

After arriving home on Saturday morning after a red eye flight to Boston and being too exhausted to do much of anything Saturday I was out yesterday morning to see if I could catch up with the Black crowned Night Heron that showed up at the campus pond at UMASS a few days before.  After waking up a little later than anticipated I made the drive over to Amherst and had the bird almost immediately as it stood on the edge of the water on the opposite side of the pond.  I got a few photos and then set up the scope to watch it for a bit.  As I was watching it move slowly on the edge someone flushed it and it flew up and perched in a nearby tree and it remained there as I left the area.  It was a new bird in the county for the year and I currently stand at 221 species for the year.  Today I guided for a couple birders from Texas in the Quabbin area and we had a great morning for birding with clear skies, calm winds and cool morning temps.  Lots of birds have quit singing so a little tougher to track stuff down.  Nonetheless we got all the target species we were after over the course of five hours or so.  More posts up soon on other parts of my trip out west...Minnesota and Wisconsin already posted here.

No comments:

Post a Comment