Monday, September 23, 2024

Common Tern this morning at Winsor Dam (and other migrants around the area)

Common Tern, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Sep 23, 2024
Common Tern, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Sep 23, 2024
Common Tern, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Sep 23, 2024
Common Tern (with Ring billed Gull), Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Sep 23, 2024
Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Sep 23, 2024

After getting in late last night from seeing some live music I did not get out as early as I normally would and with a slightly later start than usual I decided to stay close to home.  I made Winsor Dam my first stop of the morning.  I arrived to find a fairly steady breeze blowing in and I honestly didn't expect to find much.  Nonetheless I did a quick scan and immediately noticed a small white bird trying to balance on the large orange buoy and by the size I knew it was something unusual.  I quickly set up the scope and was able to see it was a tern.  I studied it for a bit and it appeared to be either a Common Tern or a Forester's Tern and I was leaning toward COTE.  I sent out a few messages regarding the bird and then studied it for a bit.  It was having a tough time staying on the buoy and eventually flew around a few times before coming back into land on the buoy again and it looked more and more like a Common Tern.  A nearby Ring billed Gull tried to take the buoy over but the tern would eventually reclaim it.  The distance and early light made it tough to pick out a lot of detail but eventually I became confident enough in the views to ID it as a Common Tern...a decent bird in the county at any time.  The photos and videos I got of the bird were very poor but showed some of the field marks.

Black and White Warbler, Belchertown, MA, Sep 23, 2024
Hermit Thrush, Belchertown, MA, Sep 23, 2024
Blue headed Vireo, Belchertown, MA, Sep 23, 2024
Northern Parula, Belchertown, MA, Sep 23, 2024
Blackpoll Warbler, Belchertown, MA, Sep 23, 2024

I then spent the rest of the morning exploring a few other nearby areas and I had a fairly good morning with migrants with a good number of Northern Parula and Blackpoll Warblers as well as others.  Hardly a blockbuster morning but one of the better ones in what is looking to be a fairly poor fall for migrants (mainly due to lots of great migrations conditions that have kept birds moving past without stopping...good for birds, bad for birders).

No comments:

Post a Comment