Thursday, January 11, 2024

First snow and then rain with a few rarities around

Jabish Brook after the snow, Belchertown, MA, Jan 8, 2024
Jabish Brook after the snow, Belchertown, MA, Jan 8, 2024
Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Jan 8, 2024
Wilson exploring in the snow, Belchertown, MA, Jan 8, 2024
Wilson in the snow, Home, Jan 7, 2024

We got our first big snow storm in awhile from late Saturday and well into the day on Sunday with close to a foot of snow.  Although I detest the snow Wilson just loves it so I guess it was not all bad.  After driving through the storm to get home after work I stayed home all of Sunday.  On Monday I had plans to check various fields in Hadley and Amherst to see what the snow concentrated for birds but my plans were quickly derailed when I got a flat tire and then spent most of the morning trying to see if I could get it repaired only to find out it would need to be replaced so with only a spare to drive around on I decided to head for home and limit my driving.

Northern Shrike, Honey Pot, Hadley, MA, Jan 9, 2024
Horned Larks and Snow Buntings, Honey Pot, Hadley, MA, Jan 9, 2024
Lapland Longspur, Honey Pot, Hadley, MA, Jan 9, 2024
Horned Lark, Honey Pot, Hadley, MA, Jan 9, 2024
Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Jan 9, 2024

Tuesday I had to head to Northampton to get my tire replaced and then spend a few hours at a class at work.  I managed to get a little birding in on the way and despite my limited time the birding was quite productive with four new species for the year including a couple of flyby Northern Pintails at first light at Winsor Dam and then a trio of rarities at the Honey Pot including Northern Shrike, Lapland Longspur and Vesper Sparrow.  The number of Horned Larks and Snow Buntings was quite impressive as they wheeled around constantly only to settle for a brief period before taking off again.

Say's Phoebe, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Jan 10, 2024
Say's Phoebe, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Jan 10, 2024
White throated Sparrow, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Jan 10, 2024
Pine Siskin, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Jan 10, 2024
Rainbow, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Jan 10, 2024

Our next storm arrived Tuesday evening and into Wednesday and this storm brought warmer temps, strong winds and heavy rain.  The rain beat the hell out of the snow pack with lots of areas of bare ground that just the day before had nearly a foot of snow.  I had a class to take again in the morning so could only get out a little early and then again later.  The morning didn't produce much but the late morning was much better when I stopped briefly at Winsor Dam before taking Wilson for a walk.  As I was scanning the water for birds I heard a call that sounded like a Say's Phoebe and I turned around to see it perched on one of the chimneys on the admin building.  Truly amazing it made it through the recent storms and cold temps...a hardy bird for sure.  As I was leaving I had brief looks at an Eastern Phoebe before it flew down Blue Meadow Road into a restricted access area.  Two phoebes on January 10th in Hampshire County is mind-blowing!  I returned to the dam a bit later in the afternoon and failed to relocate either phoebe.  The mystery of where these phoebes spend most of their time continues.

American Kestrel, North Hadley, MA, Jan 11, 2024
Merlin, East Hadley Rd, Hadley, MA, Jan 11, 2024
Brown headed Cowbirds, East Hadley Rd, Hadley, MA, Jan 11, 2024
Red winged Blackbirds, Hickory Ridge Conservation Area, Amherst, MA, Jan 11, 2024
Eastern Bluebirds, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Jan 11, 2024
Pine Warbler, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Jan 11, 2024

I headed out on a somewhat breezy morning to try to add a few more species for the year with the focus being on raptors and vultures (American Kestrel, Rough legged Hawk and both species of vultures) and perhaps some waterfowl.  I did manage to find an American Kestrel but missed the others.  I started at UMASS and then hit multiple fields in Hadley and Amherst before headed back toward home with a stop at Quabbin.  Highlights in the Hadley/Amherst area included an Eastern Meadowlark and continued flocks of Brown headed Cowbirds and Red winged Blackbirds.  After my time checking fields I made a stop at Winsor Dam and walked around for a bit to try to relocate either phoebe species or a Pine Warbler.  Although I missed on finding the phoebes I did have at least one Pine Warbler that was once again travelling with a mixed flock containing some Eastern Bluebirds.  I now stand at 92 species for the year in Hampshire County, which puts me one ahead of my best ever start to the year by this date.  As I'm off to warmer locations soon I'm not sure I will break my best January record of 105 species in 2021 but I hope to get close.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Larry, found your blog from your eBird profile. I'm heading to Great Abaco Feb 3-7. Would love to chat about your trip and birding there! Also, awesome winter birds posted here just before you left, it looks like. I'm in Dutchess County in NY and we also have had a Northern Shrike and Lapland Longspur hanging around the past week or so. Great birds. Anyway, if you're interested at all, I'd love to chat Bahamas. Shoot me an email if you get a minute! scarroll413@gmail.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should've mentioned, my name is Sean.

      Delete
    2. Just back this evening...I'll send you a message tomorrow when I'm at work.

      Delete