Friday, April 21, 2023

More new arrivals today including some early warblers

 

Yellow Warbler, Rail trail, Amherst, MA, Apr 21, 2023
Black and White Warbler, Rail trail, Amherst, MA, Apr 21, 2023
American Robin with nest material, Silvio Conte NWR-Fort River, Hadley, MA, Apr 21, 2023
Black throated Green Warbler, Piper Farm Conservation Area, Belchertown, MA, Apr 21, 2023

I spent the morning in a fruitless search for a Yellow throated Warbler in Hampshire County after two showed up elsewhere in western mass yesterday.  All was not lost as I had a great morning out with an obvious influx of a number of species after some decent migration conditions overnight.  I had a record early date for Yellow Warbler and tied my early date for Black throated Green Warbler (more on warblers for the day at the following link).  I also added my first Black and White Warbler and Eastern Whip Poor Will for the year in the county and brought my total for the year in the county to 150 (tied for highest year to date total ever) and to 124 for the month (my second highest total to this point in April behind only 2019 when I had 125).  Thanks to eBird for making all this data easily accessible.  I will be out again tomorrow looking and listening for a Yellow throated Warbler.

House Wren with leg bands, Home, Belchertown, MA, Apr 21, 2023
House Wren with leg bands, Home, Belchertown, MA, Apr 21, 2023
House Wren with leg bands, Home, Belchertown, MA, Apr 21, 2023

Once I got home there were new birds around the yard today including my first returning House Wrens of the year with at least one a banded bird (banded in June 2021).  He lost one of his bands during his travels but two of the three bands remain.  Always amazing to see a bird making it back to the same exact spot after another migration cycle.  The bird was checking out a natural cavity in the yard and perhaps will use it to nest in?  I also had my second record ever for Field Sparrow in the yard with a singing bird around during the afternoon.

Hooded Merganser eggs in duck box #1, Home, Belchertown, MA, Apr 20, 2023

I finally confirmed the species nesting in duck box #1 when I checked it yesterday and found a Hooded Merganser in the box.  All three boxes are now active with a Hooded Merganser sitting on eggs in each box.  I set up the camera on the base of the nest box pole yesterday in the hopes of capturing the young leaving the nest.  We shall see if it works out this year.

2 comments:

  1. Try amethyst brook have had great warblers there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some good warblers there for sure

      Delete