Thursday, July 28, 2022

My 40,000th complete eBird list

Virginia Rail, Lake Wallace, Belchertown, MA, Jul 27, 2022
Virginia Rail, Lake Wallace, Belchertown, MA, Jul 27, 2022

On my way to work yesterday morning I stopped off again at Lake Wallace and the stop produced my 40,000th complete eBird list (I have additional entered another 700+ incomplete lists).  The lake continues to produce great sightings of Virginia Rails (with at least five present during my brief stop).  I also had a flyover juvenile Black crowned Night Heron but was unable to get photos of it.  This is only the second time I have seen the species at the lake, with the first sighting in mid August last year.  Looking at my total of 40,000 complete lists it appears that ranks me at 13th in the world for checklists into eBird among nearly 800,000 users...I guess that means I bird a bit more than most.  The list span around 25 countries but with the vast majority of my lists from Hampshire County.  I would highly encourage everyone to enter their sightings into eBird as it adds to the scientific database and is a great way to keep track of the birds you see.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your amazing achievement! I will usually print your list to a particular destination prior to going to see what is in the area, as a relatively new birder , this helps me a lot, so thank you ~
    Beth
    Allen Bird Club

    ReplyDelete