Thursday, June 2, 2022

Nine species of flycatchers this morning

Olive sided Flycatcher, Mt Tom State Reservation, Easthampton, MA, May 2, 2022
Red eyed Vireo, Mt Tom State Reservation, Easthampton, MA, May 2, 2022
Blue winged x Golden winged Warbler hybrid, Fog Hollow, Southampton, MA, May 2, 2022

After another very long shift at work I got out this morning and headed out in search of birds for the month and possibly some late migrants.  I made my first stop over to nearby Fitzgerald Lake where I had at least one Acadian Flycatcher (it has been a good year for the species in the area) in habitat that is marginal for the species.  After my short stop there I headed over to Mount Tom to once again search for a Hooded Warbler that has been sporadically heard in the area.  When I arrived the first bird I heard was a singing Olive sided Flycatcher, which was out in the open on a dead snag and I got some distant photos as well as a recording (only the second time I have gotten a recording of the species).  I once again had no luck with finding the Hooded Warbler but had a number of other breeding species.  At this point I had already had eight species of flycatcher and I would add another (Willow Flycatcher) when I made it home and took Wilson for a walk.  The only flycatcher species I missed that was still a realistic possibility this time of year was a Yellow bellied Flycatcher.  I made a couple more brief stops without too much noteworthy beyond a continued Blue winged x Golden winged Warbler hybrid in Southampton.

Hooded Merganser chicks in duck box #1, Home, Belchertown, MA, May 31, 2022
Hooded Merganser nest remains in duck box #1, Home, Belchertown, MA, Jun 2, 2022

The last Hooded Merganser nest has now fledged and I unfortunately missed capturing video of them leaving the nest.  I did capture a couple mammals checking out the area around the box including a Mink and a Raccoon.  


No comments:

Post a Comment