Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Influx of species this morning with some great migration conditions

 

Yellow rumped Warbler 'myrtle', Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Apr 28, 2021
Blue headed Vireo, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Apr 28, 2021
Yellow Warbler, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Apr 28, 2021
Yellow rumped Warbler 'myrtle', Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Apr 28, 2021

After many days late in the month without great migration conditions and cooler than normal conditions things finally changed overnight with a slight southerly wind which brought in some birds and warmer conditions.  In addition there was a line of storms that came through around 1:30am and likely grounded some migrants.  If I had not been at work I would have headed right over to Winsor Dam at first light but I had to forgo seeing what waterfowl got grounded (Scott did make it there early in the morning and had a number of species of waterfowl but nothing extremely unusual but a decent selection for sure).  Once I got finished with work I headed over to Arcadia and immediately started seeing and hearing new species for the year in Hampshire County.  There was an impressive collection of warblers there with the vast majority being Yellow rumped Warblers with a smattering of other species (more on the warblers for the day at the following link).  I wish I could have gotten there earlier as the activity was well underway by the time I arrived around 7:30 but nonetheless it was still a fantastic stop.  I made a couple more brief stops on my way home and turned up a few other new species for the year.  Overall I had an even dozen new species for the county today with seven of those being warblers and a total of 85 species for the morning.  Spring migration is officially in full swing now.  There should be some more marginal nights for migration coming up for the next couple days but nothing extreme.  I would recommend checking out the forecast for upcoming migration conditions at Birdcast.

No comments:

Post a Comment