Saturday, August 15, 2020

Middle of August arrives with a Glossy Ibis, Blue Grosbeaks and Red Crossbills

Glossy Ibis, Holyoke Dam, South Hadley, MA, Aug 15, 2020
Glossy Ibis, Holyoke Dam, South Hadley, MA, Aug 15, 2020
Wood Ducks, Holyoke Dam, South Hadley, MA, Aug 15, 2020
Spotted Sandpiper, Holyoke Dam, South Hadley, MA, Aug 15, 2020
Double crested Cormorants, Holyoke Dam, South Hadley, MA, Aug 15, 2020
Groundhog, Holyoke Dam, South Hadley, MA, Aug 15, 2020
Wilson relaxing at home
After work this morning I headed down to the Holyoke Dam to see if I could find the Glossy Ibis that has been seen on and off at the location after showing up a few days ago.  It was literally the first bird I put my binoculars on.  I had a couple flyover Glossy Ibis during the spring but got much better looks at this individual as it preened and slept near the base of the dam.  I looked around a bit for any other unusual species at the dam but came up empty.  Fish Crows were also in evidence at a few location both yesterday and today, with lots of calling. 
Green Heron, Lake Wallace, Belchertown, MA, Aug 13, 2020
Great Blue Heron, Lake Wallace, Belchertown, MA, Aug 13, 2020
On Thursday I stopped off at Lake Wallace on my way home and had nearly a dozen Green Herons plus a very successful Great Blue Heron that I watched catch a number of fish.
Indigo Bunting and Blue Grosbeak, Honey Pot, Hadley, MA, Aug 12, 2020
Another stop at the Honey Pot on my way to work on Wednesday produced at least four Blue Grosbeaks plus a nice count of Indigo Buntings.  I also managed to get both species in the scope at once showing the differences between the species.
American Redstart, Ware, MA, Aug 11, 2020
Blue winged Warbler, Ware, MA, Aug 11, 2020
Field Sparrow, Ware, MA, Aug 11, 2020
Great Egrets, Ware, MA, Aug 11, 2020
Pheasant?, Ware, MA, Aug 11, 2020
Wilson checking out some deer, Belchertown, MA, Aug 11, 2020
With a full morning available on Tuesday on started off before dawn and hit Quabbin Park, Lake Wallace and then over to Ware.  I was not quite early enough to Quabbin Park to find any lingering whip poor wills but did have a displaying American Woodcock.  My stop at Lake Wallace produced a couple Virginia Rails and a dozen Green Herons.  A small brushy area in Ware produced an odd bird that was likely a large plumaged Ring necked Pheasant but still not 100% certain plus three flyby Great Egrets, a couple flyover Red Crossbills and seven species of warbler including an early Mourning Warbler.
Blue Grosbeak, Honey Pot, Hadley, MA, Aug 10, 2020
Blue Grosbeak, Honey Pot, Hadley, MA, Aug 10, 2020
On my way into work on Monday I stopped off briefly along the river in Hadley looking for unusual herons or egret but only found a single Great Egret.  I then stopped off along the dike in the Honey Pot where I had at least five Blue Grosbeaks with both adults and young present plus 20+ Indigo Buntings.
Great Horned Owl, Lake Wallace, Belchertown, MA, Aug 9, 2020
Last Sunday I started my morning at Lake Wallace where I had a couple Virginia Rails calling and three Great Horned Owls (including nearly adult size young begging for food).  I then headed over to Quabbin Park where the highlights included even more flyover Red Crossbills.

No comments:

Post a Comment