Friday, June 30, 2023

June comes to an end with a summer like feel

American Redstart fledgling being fed by adult, Quabbin Park, MA, Jun 30, 2023
American Redstart fledgling, Quabbin Park, MA, Jun 30, 2023
Prairie Warbler, Quabbin Park, MA, Jun 30, 2023
Gray Catbird, Quabbin Park, MA, Jun 30, 2023
Yellow Warbler, Rail trail, Amherst, MA, Jul 29, 2023

The month of June has now come to an end and we now enter into the typically slow period of July as many species become less vocal and migration is very limited.  June was a bit slower than usual for me with just 134 species in Hampshire County (my lowest June total since 2018) due to a combination of work and Wilson recovering from surgery.  Nonetheless there were still some good birds around with lots of breeding species.  I completed a number of breeding bird counts during the month including my breeding bird survey on the 25th.  I decided to spend the last morning of the month at Quabbin Park with the focus being on warblers (as usual) and I had lots of evidence of successful breeding.  The last several days have also seen an impressive increase in the numbers of Red Crossbills moving into the area.  I have had them in a multitude of locations including right at the house.  I have managed a few recordings with the only confirmed Type being Type 12 with another recording highly likely to be Type 1.  I would encourage all to keep an ear out for crossbills and try to get recordings if possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment