Friday, January 13, 2023

More unusual species around over the last several days and a near record setting pace for the new year

Swamp Sparrow, UMASS, Amherst, MA, Jan 8, 2023
Green winged Teal, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Jan 8, 2023
Common Loon, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Jan 8, 2023

The second week of January started off as the first week had ended with above normal temperatures and a total lack of snow.  I spent a lot of the morning on the 8th checking various areas for any rarities and/or lingering species with a focus on warblers (I turned up none of those unfortunately as I checked new areas for them).  I did have my first White crowned Sparrow of the year in Hadley as well as a flyby longspur that may have been the Smith's Longspur but I never saw the bird.  Arcadia turned up a Green winged Teal and loads of Common Mergansers but nothing else unusual.  The campus pond at UMASS had well over a thousand Canada Geese with more arriving as I left and I then explored the nearby stadium marsh (which produced two Swamp Sparrows).  Winsor Dam had a flyby pair of Bufflehead, a merganser that may have been a Red breasted Merganser and two Common Loons.  I also relocated the continued Short eared Owl in the East Meadows I first found there in late December.

Yellow rumped Warbler 'myrtle', Mitch's Way, Hadley, MA, Jan 10, 2023
Greater White fronted Goose, Mt Holyoke College, South Hadley, MA, Jan 10, 2023

After getting out of work on Tuesday morning I headed across the river in a successful quest to relocate a Yellow rumped Warbler in Hadley I last saw in mid December.  Although not the best looks I was happy to see it still hanging around.  I then headed south in search of a continued Greater White fronted Goose that I always seem to have just missed.  I tried a couple spots with no luck but then found the bird at the pond at Mt. Holyoke College feeding right next to the road with a group of Canada Geese and the resident domestic goose.  
Common Mergansers, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Jan 13, 2023
Song Sparrow, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Jan 13, 2023

I had to work on Wednesday so no birding and then with light snow and complete lack of sleep for Thursday I headed right home with just a couple of brief stops without finding anything too noteworthy.  On Friday the 13th, after a good night sleep, I headed over to Arcadia and arrived there around sunrise and stayed for about two and half hours covering a few different areas looking for new species for the year and finding a few.  The warm weather resulted in several areas of open water with a decent selection of waterfowl but nothing extremely unusual.  Among the notable species for the morning was a Hermit Thrush, a Field Sparrow and a flyby Yellow rumped Warbler (my first one in the immediate area which is surprising as they have overwintered in the area of Arcadia for a few years).  The on and off rain made photography tough and not pleasant to be outside but nonetheless it was a good morning.  I made a few other quick stops on the way home and yet again found the Smith's Longspur in Hadley.  With the second week of the new year almost complete I have so far found a total of 91 species in Hampshire County with lots of unusual species around.  I'm just a little behind my best January ever (2021) when I had 92 species at this point and ended the month with my first ever 100+ species January here with a total of 105 species.  Not sure I will break the 100 mark as I'm off to warmer climes for a bit but there is a decent chance...I will be back looking again once I get back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment