Monday, March 7, 2022

The first week of March features warm and cold weather and a few new arrivals

Yellow rumped Warbler 'myrtle', Arcadia, Easthampton, MA, Mar 1, 2022
Ruby crowned Kinglet, Mitch's Way, Hadley, MA, Mar 1, 2022

Yellow rumped Warbler 'myrtle', Mitch's Way, Hadley, MA, Mar 1, 2022
American Robin, Mitch's Way, Hadley, MA, Mar 1, 2022
Gray Catbird, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Mar 1, 2022

I began the new month with the main goal of tracking down at least one of the overwintering Yellow rumped Warbler. After a couple quick stops near dawn on a cold morning I stopped at Arcadia and almost immediately had a Yellow rumped Warbler calling and then got great looks at it. I had two individuals there before I headed over to the second location the species has been for the winter. I walked in along a snowy and slightly icy Mitch's Way and eventually found two more Yellow rumped Warblers together and then another on my way out (this one was traveling with a Ruby crowned Kinglet). I had a few more notable species for the remainder of the day including a Gray Catbird at Winsor Dam. 
Hooded Mergansers, Swift River, Ware, MA, Mar 2, 2022
Wilson after his appointment, Mar 2, 2022

On the second I stayed in the area of south Quabbin and the Swift River mainly looking for gulls and waterfowl in the early morning before we had to make a trip down to Sturbridge with Wilson for a medical procedure. He did well and was happy to be back home with us by the early evening. 
White crowned Sparrow, Aqua Vitae Rd, Hadley, MA, Mar 4, 2022
Savannah Sparrow, Aqua Vitae Rd, Hadley, MA, Mar 4, 2022
Peregrine Falcon with prey, Aqua Vitae Rd, Hadley, MA, Mar 4, 2022
Black capped Chickadee, Home, Belchertown, MA, Mar 4, 2022

I had to work on the third and fifth and the day in between was mostly shot as I was too exhausted to do much of anything. Nonetheless a brief stop on my way home on Friday morning turned up some continued unusual sparrows in Hadley.
Common Merganser, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Mar 6, 2022
Common Merganser, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Mar 6, 2022
Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Mar 6, 2022
Wilson relaxing, Home, Mar 6, 2022

Although Sunday started off gloomy and foggy a warm front eventually came through and warmed up the temps into the 60’s thanks to a strong southerly wind. I was only able to make a few stops on my way home as I wanted to make it home and get Wilson a walk in before the heavy rain arrived with the warm front.
Ring necked Ducks, Swift River, Ware, MA, Mar 7, 2022
Mallards, Swift River, Ware, MA, Mar 7, 2022
Common Merganser, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Mar 7, 2022
Bald Eagles at nest, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Mar 7, 2022
Bufflehead, Quabbin Park, MA, Mar 7, 2022
Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Mar 7, 2022
Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Mar 7, 2022

On the last day of the week I decided to stay close to home and check a few areas to see what the strong southerly winds may have brought in.  I started off before dawn at Lake Wallace where I had an early Virginia Rail calling.  I then headed to Winsor Dam where I had loads of gulls (nothing unusual among them) as well as a variety of waterfowl with a good showing of Ring necked Ducks.  After a bit over a half hour at the dam I stopped along the Swift River and found more waterfowl (again with a good showing of Ring necked Ducks) and then I was off to Quabbin Park where I added even more waterfowl as well as the first deer tick of the season.  A stop late in the morning back to Winsor Dam turned up some more waterfowl including my first Pied billed Grebe of the year plus a number of other species actively migrating thanks to the continued southerly winds.  The Bald Eagles were also around including the pair tending their nest.  Overall I turned up eleven species of waterfowl.  I also got a message about four Pink footed Geese and a Cackling Goose in the muddy East Meadows but I decided to not bother making the drive over.

No comments:

Post a Comment