Friday, October 30, 2020

PURPLE SANDPIPER becomes my 300th species in Hampshire County plus other good stuff as October comes to a rainy, snowy, cold end

Purple Sandpiper, Holyoke Dam, South Hadley, MA, Oct 30, 2020
Purple Sandpiper (with American Pipit), Holyoke Dam, South Hadley, MA, Oct 30, 2020
Purple Sandpiper, Holyoke Dam, South Hadley, MA, Oct 30, 2020

What a fantastic day (really last few days) capped off with my 300th Hampshire County species this afternoon with a Purple Sandpiper initially found by Ted and seen by many over the course of the afternoon as the snow finally came to an end (after getting 3" or so here in Belchertown).  This is the first Hampshire County record for the species as well as the first one in the valley and only the third in western Massachusetts (with two old records from the 1950's and 1960's in the Berkshires)...in fact there is only one other non coastal sighting of the species and that was in Randolph (not very far inland at all).  What a great species to get me to the rarified air of 300 species in the county.  The sandpiper also becomes my 241st species in the county for the year, tying my previous best year set in 2018 and with two months of the year still left to go!  In addition this bird was a life bird for me (I never get to the coast when the species shows up for the winter) bringing me to a total of 1579 species.  I almost didn't get to try for the sandpiper as I was getting estimates for work at the house when I got the text from Ted and as soon as I could break free I headed down to the dam.  When I arrived a number of birders were already there and the bird was playing hide and seek in among the rocks and it would disappear from view occasionally.  Beyond the Purple Sandpiper there were a number of other notable species present including two Dunlin (what a fantastic last couple weeks for that species), the continued Brant and two Gadwall as well as multiple American Pipits and at least one Snow Bunting.  A big thank you to Ted for finding the species and staying around to get others on it.  Nothing like finding a first county record and sharing it with others.  More on the last few rainy and snowy days below.
Red breasted Mergansers, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Oct 28, 2020
Hooded Merganser, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Oct 28, 2020
Long tailed Ducks Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Oct 28, 2020
Long tailed Duck, Mitch's Marina, Hadley, MA, Oct 29, 2020
Gadwall, Holyoke Dam, South Hadley, MA, Oct 29, 2020
Brant with American Black Ducks, Holyoke Dam, South Hadley, MA, Oct 29, 2020
Brant, Holyoke Dam, South Hadley, MA, Oct 29, 2020

Lesser Black backed Gull (L) with Ring billed Gulls, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Oct 30, 2020
Lesser Black backed Gull (L) with Ring billed Gulls, Winsor Dam, Quabbin Park, MA, Oct 30, 2020
Wood Ducks and Hooded Mergansers, Quabbin Park, MA, Oct 30, 2020

The end of October finished rainy and then snowy but nonetheless was very productive for birds for me with a number of rarities showing up and a new high count for me for the month in Hampshire County (more on all that at the bottom of the post).  The last few days have featured rainy days (including the remnants of Hurricane Zeta coming through Thursday) which grounded a number of species (mainly waterfowl and shorebirds).  On Wednesday I stayed mainly around the south Quabbin area (primarily Winsor Dam with multiple visits) and over the course of the day found eleven species of waterfowl including all three scoter species, a group of 11 Long tailed Ducks, lots of Bufflehead and two Red breasted Mergansers.  With a brief lull in the rain early on Thursday I headed over to Arcadia, the East Meadows, the Holyoke Dam and then back to Winsor Dam.  The rain started back up by 9am and continued for the rest of the day.  I was lucky to catch up with a Short eared Owl before dawn at the Honey Pot on my way to the locations mentioned above.  Other notable species for the morning on Thursday included at least three American Woodcocks I flushed at Arcadia, an American Coot at Arcadia, a lone Long tailed Duck in the river at Mitch's Marina, the continued Brant and two Gadwall as well as a 100+ Common Mergansers at the Holyoke Dam.  Winsor Dam featured a number of loons including a small individual that was something other than a Common Loon but it was just too far out and the fog too thick to definitively identify.  On Friday I woke up to rain that quickly turned to snow and got heavy for a time resulting in us getting a couple inches of wet snow.  As soon as it was light I was over at Winsor Dam trying to find something interesting before the rain changed to snow and knocked down visibility too much.  Unfortunately the change over to snow occurred just as it was getting light so there was a very small window of any visibility at a very windy Winsor Dam.  Nonetheless I still managed to find a good bird when I had a Lesser Black backed Gull in with a single Herring Gull and multiple Ring billed Gulls.  I got a few marginal shots through the scope showing the darker mantle and size but little else.  Would have loved to get some better shots but I was lucky to get any at all.  I also had two very intriguing shorebirds whip by before I could ID them.  As the snow became heavier and heavier and the wind continued to roar out of the northeast I left the dam and tried the Route 9 marsh before heading for home as the roads started to get slushy.  I made it back to the dam midday but the snow and wind were still keeping visibility way down but I did have some birds including a Greater Scaup that made a brief stop and small groups of Mallards, Black Ducks and Double crested Cormorants.  I planned on a return to Winsor Dam as soon as the snow let up but the text from Ted regarding the Purple Sandpiper changed all that!  I eventually made it back to the dam with the most interesting sighting for that stop being a high count of 66 Long tailed Ducks.  I suspect tomorrow will turn up more waterfowl as winds continue out of the north and the temperatures drop to record low levels.

Cackling Goose, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Oct 20, 2020
Franklin's Gull, Arcadia, Northampton, MA, Oct 26, 2020
Cattle Egret, Meadow St, Amherst, MA, Oct 16, 2020
Lark Sparrow, East Meadows, Northampton, MA, Oct 20, 2020

I finished the month with 163 species which blew away my previous high for the month of 152 set in 2018.  As mentioned above there were a number of rarities around for the month and I managed to catch up with a few but not all of them.  Notable species in addition to those mentioned above included Barnacle Goose (species #299 in Hampshire County for me), Cackling Goose, Franklin's Gull, Cattle Egret and Lark Sparrow as well as irruptives including Evening Grosbeak, Purple Finch, Common Redpoll, Red Crossbill and Pine Siskin.

Black capped Chickadee with leg bands (banded in 2017), Home, Belchertown, MA, Oct 30, 2020
Black capped Chickadee with leg bands (banded in 2019), Home, Belchertown, MA, Oct 30, 2020
Black capped Chickadee with leg bands (banded in 2019), Home, Belchertown, MA, Oct 30, 2020
Jabish Brook in the snow, Home, Belchertown, MA, Oct 30, 2020
Wilson at the beginning of the storm, Home, Belchertown, MA, Oct 30, 2020

With the snow and cold temperatures I decided to put out a feeder and some suet to help the birds survive the early arrival of winter like conditions.  As I watched the birds come and go I noticed first one, then two and finally three different banded Black capped Chickadees with the biggest surprise being one banded in 2017 that I have not seen around in years...wonder where he has been hiding!



No comments:

Post a Comment